Food Services Prep Cook (Kitchen Station)
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
The position reports to the Chef/Chef/Food Service Director/Chef/Shift Supervisor. This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
This is food service work utilizing standard recipes, to prepare food for dining center service and catered functions meeting service schedules in accordance with health, safety, and sanitary procedures. Reviews menus and production sheets to determine types and quantities of food to be produced. Responsible for processing food items, ensuring proper utilization and storage of food and supplies and for maintaining the orderliness and cleanliness of equipment, supplies and work areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Reads menu and procures food from storage
- Prepares and cooks food in accordance with the chef instructions
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes, uses a variety of kitchen utensils and equipment, such as blenders, mixers, grinders, choppers, slicers, ovens, cook tops, to prepare soups, salads, gravies, desserts, sauces, casseroles and other menu items
- Bakes, roast, steams, broils, fries’ meats, fish, poultry, vegetables and other foods
- Adds seasoning to food during mixing and cooking, according to recipe. Discusses necessary recipe adjustments with the chef
- Observes and test food being cooked by tasting, smelling, and taking temperatures to determine that it is cooked to the proper level of readiness
- Carves meats, portions food in serving pans or on serving plates, adds gravies, sauces, and garnishes to panned and plated foods
- May wash, peel, cut and shred vegetables and fruits to prepare them for use
- Maintains sanitation and orderliness of all equipment, supplies and utensils in work area
- Coordinates work with the chef to prevent waste and to reduce overproduction
- Responsible for replenishing food and items providing back up on service line for dining center customers
- Cooks and otherwise prepares foods according to recipes
- Cuts, trims, bones and carves meats and poultry for cooking
- Responsible for ensuring proper presentation, portion control, and maintenance of proper serving temperatures – follows HACCP standards
- Maintains sanitation and orderliness of all equipment, supplies and utensils within work area
- Handles foods items appropriately during preparation
- Ensures proper food preparation by utilizing approved recipes and in following prescribed production standards
- Keeps display equipment clean and free of debris during meal service as assigned
- Cleans equipment, as assigned and in a timely fashion
- Cleans workstation thoroughly before leaving the area for other assignments
- Represents college in a courteous, efficient, and friendly manner is all customer and employee interactions
- Interacts with customers in a manner to ensure customer satisfaction
- Greets customers courteously
- Serves customers quickly, does not allow back-ups or snags in serving lines
- Serves customer food and beverage orders quickly, in proper portions, in a courteous demeanor
- Demonstrates a complete understanding of daily menu items and explains same to customers accurately
- Relays relevant comments from customers directly to supervisors
- Interact with customers and resolves customer complaints in a friendly and service oriented manner
- Consistently exhibits the ability to keep up with peak cafeteria hours and does so calmly, accurately and efficiently
- Checks to ensure that all display foods are merchandised attractively per standards
- Serve food neatly and attractively per standard
- Follows principles of sanitation and safety in handling food and equipment
- Cleans up spills in the servery, dining area, his/her own work area immediately
- Completes shift work, as assigned, in a timely and thorough manner in accordance with department standards
- Informs chef, supervisor, in a timely manner when supplies are low
- Follows and observes all college policies and procedures
- Follows college standards for attendance and punctuality
- Maintains professional appearance at all times, clean and well groomed in accordance with company standards
- Assist other functions as needed
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs
- Ability to read a limited number of two and three syllable words and to recognize similarities and difference between words and between series of numbers
- Ability to print and speak simple sentences
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and may occasionally lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
All employees are responsible for maintaining a hazard free environment for themselves and our customers. All employees are required to wear personal protective equipment (goggles or eyewear, gloves and aprons) when handling chemicals or other hazardous substance or when assisting in first aid.
Employees may be required to use certain mechanical, electric, sharp, heat producing, and other potentially dangerous equipment while performing job responsibilities. Employees will be instructed in the proper use, function and maintenance of all kitchen related equipment. See your supervisor for specific training procedures.
The Compass Group promotes an environment free of discrimination and open to communication between all Compass Associates. Compass has an Open-Door Policy. If you have any questions direct them to your immediate supervisor. If you have a grievance, which cannot be satisfied by your immediate supervisor, you may contact your District Manager, Regional Director, or the Human Resources Department at 1-800-BE-AWARE.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma and up to one-year related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education experience.
Employee Signature and Date:
I have received, read and understand the job description(s) outlining my basic job responsibilities. I understand that I may be asked to perform other duties exclusive of my basic responsibilities and any other duties necessary within the course of business.
Associate Signature Date
Manager’s Signature Date
I require the following accommodation in order to perform the requirements of the position:
Applicants must send a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references who can speak to your professional qualifications by email to HR@mountsaintvincent.edu.
College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to provide equal opportunity, employment, and advancement opportunities to all individuals. The College of Mount Saint Vincent does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws.