Custodian/Housekeeper for Queens Location
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
Monday-Friday 6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
The position of Custodian/Housekeeper will work under the direction and supervision of the Assistant Custodial Manager. The general tasks include but are not limited to maintaining the cleanliness of the Long Island City location for the Graduate Nursing Program. Areas to which the position is assigned are comprised of academic and administrative.
This position is delegated the authority to prioritize work within the assigned area to maintain departmental work standards, work assignments and cleaning policy and procedure goals and objectives. Required to make decisions based on a full knowledge of these guidelines. Deviations from these guidelines must be reported and/or approved by management. The employee values teamwork and collaboration, is dependable, takes initiative, solves problems effectively, communicates clearly, and supports organizational change.
Expected to work with a high degree of independence, accountability and authority. While much of the work is self-driven and process focused, additional work projects may be assigned to meet the departmental needs. Work may be reviewed in progress, upon completion and/or through reports, and feedback is shared on an ongoing basis and through periodic and annual performance review.
- Perform custodial/housekeeping work/assignments as laid out on provided weekly & project schedules. Schedules are subject to change along with the needs of the college community. Work/assignments include but are not limited to keeping facilities cleaned/maintained, vacuum/sweep/mop floors, disinfect/stock restroom, trash removal.
- Respond to college employee, student and guest requests with an appropriate measure of courtesy and service. If unable to resolve customer request, immediately report request to supervisor.
- Respond to emergency situations as assigned/communicated by supervisor.
- Remain fully trained and request assistance from supervisor in the proper utilization of equipment and materials, chemical products, and the use of protective devices.
- Tracks and monitors assigned work from beginning to completion.
- Reports facility maintenance items needing repair with particular emphasis on lighting, dispensers, and other related items associated with custodial services functional work.
- Bulk cleaning and trash handling.
- Maintain high customer service levels through custodial performance levels.
- Maintain the College Facilities Department’s integrity, effectiveness and efficiency via staff oversight and compliance to departmental work standards, work assignments and maintenance policies and procedures.
- Recommends and presents suggestions for improved processes.
- Immediately notify proper parties of any injury and/or accident.
- Additional duties as assigned by management.
- Meet and maintain punctuality and attendance expectations.
Must abide by all College policies and procedures.
- Experience in related field and floor care is preferred but not required.
- Physical Requirements include moderate physical exertion. The employee will be on their feet for a majority if not for their entire shift including extensive walking and standing. Position requires mobility, occasionally climbs, crawls, stoops, bends, pushing, pulling, reaching, or otherwise works in an awkward position. Lifting or moving heavy parcels, machines and equipment up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis. Manual dexterity and coordination are required over 50% of the work period while operating various types of equipment.
- The employee values being a member of the team, is dependable, takes initiative, solves problems effectively, communicates clearly and supports organizational change.
Applicants must send a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references who can speak to your professional qualifications by email to HR@mountsaintvincent.edu.
College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to provide equal opportunity, employment, and advancement opportunities to all individuals. The College of Mount Saint Vincent does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws.