General Maintenance Technician
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
The position of General Maintenance Technician is responsible for preserving and maintaining the good condition and functionality of the campus and reports directly to the Assistant Director of Facilities. As an “essential” employee, you must remain or report for work during partial or full day closings of the site due to hazardous or other emergency conditions as well as inclement weather.
This position is delegated the authority to prioritize work within the assigned tasks to maintain departmental work standards, work assignments and maintenance policy and procedure, goals and objectives. The General Maintenance Technician is required to make decisions based on a full knowledge of these guidelines. Deviations from these guidelines must be reported and/or approved by management.
Shift: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.–4:15 p.m.
Work Duties include but are not limited to:
- Respond to work orders; establish priority of repairs; diagnose problems utilizing appropriate tools, acquire materials to complete jobs, complete job, and document repairs
- Perform preventive maintenance, such as conducting routine inspections (lighting, doors/hardware, windows, etc…)
- Perform basic maintenance/repairs to lighting/electrical systems including bulb/ballast changes, resetting breakers, etc.
- Perform manual repairs when necessary (locks/door hardware, window/screen repairs, blind repairs, etc.)
- Perform basic carpentry work including mounting boards/paintings
- Perform basic plumbing work including unclogging toilets
- Inspect and report the state of the fire alarm panels
- Maintain inventory of repair equipment and supplies
- Assist other maintenance employees as needed including the HVAC Technicians, Plumbers, and Painters
- Assist outside contractors by providing information regarding the existing structure, equipment, systems, and required modifications
- Maintain housekeeping of maintenance storage closets and workshops, as well as maintain a clean and safe work environment
- Maintain records and submit basic reports
- Immediately notify proper parties of any injury and/or accident
- Ensure resources are allocated efficiently and tasks are properly performed through field verification
- Must be able to respond to emergencies after hours when needed
- Effectively comprehend and communicate both verbally and in writing with the Facilities Staff and Management
- Maintain the College Department of Facilities’ integrity, effectiveness, and efficiency via staff oversight and compliance to departmental work standards, work assignments, and maintenance policies and procedures
- Work with a high degree of independence, accountability and authority. While much of the position’s work is self-driven and process-focused, additional work projects may be assigned to meet the departmental needs
- Additional duties as assigned by management
- Must abide by all College policies and procedures
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in related field
- High school diploma or GED
- Physical Requirements include moderate physical exertion. The employee will be on their feet for a majority if not for their entire shift including extensive walking and standing. Position requires mobility, occasionally climbs, crawls, stoops or otherwise works in an awkward position. Lifting or moving heavy parcels, machines and equipment up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis unassisted. Manual dexterity and coordination are required over 50% of the work period while operating various types of equipment
- Must be able to read and write in English
- Must have the ability to perform basic mathematical calculations
- Working knowledge of tools, common appliances, and maintenance equipment
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
- The employee values being a member of the team, is dependable, takes initiative, solves problems effectively, communicates clearly and supports organizational change
Applicants must include a letter of application, resume and contact information for at least three references and send it by email to HR@mountsaintvincent.edu.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the College of Mount Saint Vincent, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to provide equal opportunity, employment, and advancement opportunities to all individuals. The College of Mount Saint Vincent does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws.