Grill Cook for Food Services
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
The Grill Cook has a non-exempt FLSA status and reports to the Food Service Director/Assistant Manager/Chef/Shift Supervisor. The Grill Cook prepares food and serves customers at counters by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Responsible for ensuring proper presentation, portion control, and maintenance of proper serving temperatures
- Prepares and cooks food in accordance with company recipes and standards
- Takes orders from customers and cooks food requiring short preparation time
- Completes order from steam table and serves customer at counter
- Carries pans, kettles, and trays of food to and from work stations, stove and refrigerator
Food Safety and Sanitation
- Responsible for ensuring proper presentation, portion control, and maintenance of proper serving temperatures–follows HACCP standards
- Maintains sanitation and orderliness of all equipment, supplies, and utensils within work area
- Handles foods items appropriately during preparation
- Ensures proper food preparation by utilizing approved recipes and in following prescribed production standards
- Keeps display equipment clean and free of debris during meal service as assigned
- Cleans equipment, as assigned and in a timely fashion
- Cleans workstation thoroughly before leaving the area for other assignments
- Represents company in a courteous, efficient, and friendly manner is all customer and employee interactions
- Interacts with customers in a manner to ensure customer satisfaction
- Greets customers courteously
- Serves customers quickly, does not allow backups or snags in serving lines
- Serves customer food and beverage orders quickly, in proper portions, in a courteous demeanor
- Demonstrates a complete understanding of daily menu items and explains same to customers accurately
- Relays relevant comments from customers directly to supervisors
- Interacts with customers and resolves customer complaints in a friendly and service oriented manner
- Consistently exhibits the ability to keep up with peak cafeteria hours and does so calmly, accurately and efficiently
- Checks to ensure that all display foods are merchandised attractively per standards
- Serves food neatly and attractively per standard
- Follows principles of sanitation and safety in handling food and equipment
- Cleans up spills in the servery area, dining area, his/her own work area immediately
- Completes shift work, as assigned, in a timely and thorough manner in accordance with department standards
- Informs chef, supervisor, in a timely manner when supplies are low
- Follows and observes all college policies and procedures
- Follows College standards for attendance and punctuality
- Maintains professional appearance at all times, clean and well groomed in accordance with College standards
- Develops a positive working relationship with fellow workers and customers and avoids conflict
- Assists other functions as needed
- Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s
- Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance
- Ability to read a limited number of two and three syllable words and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers
- Ability to print and speak simple sentences
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Education and Experience
High school diploma; or up to one month related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
All employees are responsible for maintaining a hazard free environment for themselves and our customers. All employees are required to wear personal protective equipment (goggles or eyewear, gloves and aprons) when handling chemicals or other hazardous substance or when assisting in first aid.
Employees may be required to use certain mechanical, electric, sharp, heat producing, and other potentially dangerous equipment while performing job responsibilities. Employees will be instructed in the proper use, function and maintenance of all kitchen related equipment. See your supervisor for specific training procedures.
All qualified applicants are subject to a background check as part of the final approval process. Applicants must include a letter of application, resume, and contact information for at least three references. Please send all application materials by email to HR@mountsaintvincent.edu.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled. Position will begin immediately.
College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to provide equal opportunity, employment, and advancement opportunities to all individuals. The College of Mount Saint Vincent does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws.