Groundskeeper in the Department of Facilities
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
The position of Groundskeeper will work under the direction and supervision of the Field and Grounds Manager. The general tasks include but are not limited to maintaining the campus landscaping/grounds, performing snow and ice removal/prevention and other emergency operations as required. As an “essential” employee, you must remain or report for work during partial or full-day closings of the site due to hazardous or other emergency conditions as well as inclement weather.
- Maintenance of the campus grounds and athletic fields as directed by the Field and Grounds Manager
- Gathering and removal of litter across the campus
- Trash removal from the campus buildings and exterior trash receptacles
- Removing and discarding bulk trash items from buildings
- Clean walks and entrance ways daily including resetting outdoor furniture
- Daily care and maintenance of all Grounds vehicles, equipment and tools owned by the College
- Operate vehicles and powered equipment such as trucks, tractors, mowers (push and ride-on), hedge trimmers, etc…
- During the snow season, shovel/plow walkways, driveways and parking lots and spread ice-melt as needed
- Perform emergency snow work as required and remain on call
- Care for established lawns by mulching, aerating, trimming and edging around walks and flower beds
- Mix and spray lawn care products as needed/directed by the Field and Grounds Manager
- Maintain and/or repair irrigation systems
- Leaf clean-up and removal
- Moving furniture as needed
- Responsible for reporting any unsafe conditions found across the campus grounds
- Be aware of and operate within OSHA standards and College safety policies at all times
Qualifications and Requirements
- Two years of experience in the landscaping/grounds maintenance field or other related field
- High school diploma or GED
- Required to have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and ability to drive College-owned vehicles
- Ability to read, write, and communicate effectively in English
- Physical requirements include moderate physical exertion. The employee will be on their feet for a majority if not for their entire shift including extensive walking and standing. Position requires mobility, occasionally climbs, crawls, stoops or otherwise works in an awkward position. Lifting or moving heave parcels, machines and equipment up to 75 lbs on a regular basis. Manual dexterity and coordination are required over 50% of the work period while operating various types of equipment
- The employee values being a member of the team, is dependable, takes initiative, solves problems effectively, communicates clearly and supports organizational change
Applicants must include a letter of application, resume, and contact information for at least three references. All qualified applicants are subject to a background check as part of the final approval process. Please send your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the College of Mount Saint Vincent, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to provide equal opportunity, employment, and advancement opportunities to all individuals. The College of Mount Saint Vincent does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws.