Sport and Society Conference
Sport and Society | Exploration and Discovery in the 21st Century
The College hosted the inaugural Sport and Society: Exploration and Discovery in the 21st Century Conference on Friday, October 26, engaging in the critical dialogue around the complex issues at the intersection of sport and society.
The event welcomed students, faculty, and industry leaders from across the country to discuss topics such as the reignited activism of athletes, sports fans in the 21st century, career opportunities for women in sports, pressures in youth sports, power and politics, NCAA and Title IX, and gambling in American sports culture. The event’s featured speaker, Joe Queenan—author of nine books, columnist for The Wall Street Journal, movie critic, and American satirist—emphasized the cultural shifts in fan behavior over the past decade during his keynote.
The conference was co-sponsored by the College’s Department of Accounting, Business, and Economics and the Department of Sociology.
View videos from the 2018 Sport and Society: Exploration and Discovery in the 21st Century Conference below:
- Introduction | President Charles L. Flynn, Jr., Jonathan Rosenberg, and Kristin Lawler
- Keynote: Cultural Shifts of Fans in the 21st Century | Joe Queenan
- Panel 1: Fans in the 21st Century
- Afternoon Session 1: Career Opportunities for Women in Sports
- Panel 2: Youth Sports in the 21st Century
- Panel 3: Activism in the 21st Century