Assistant Custodial Manager
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
The position of Assistant Custodial Manager reports directly to the Custodial Manager and is responsible for the supervision of the operational conduct of housekeeping services for all of the assigned areas within the college on the overnight shift (third shift). These areas are comprised of academic, administrative, residential, and athletic facilities and any other areas assigned.
This position’s main responsibility is to coordinate, prioritize, delegate and supervise all aspects of the daily and periodic cleaning within the assigned overnight areas to maintain departmental work standards. Under management direction, this position issues work assignments and follows and enforces all set policies and procedures. It requires making decisions based on a full knowledge of the set guidelines; any deviations from these guidelines must be reported and/or approved by management. The employee values teamwork and collaboration, is dependable, flexible, takes initiative, solves problems effectively, communicates clearly, and supports organizational change. Additional hours worked outside of regular business hours are expected for scheduled events (as needed), coordination meetings, weekend coverage (rotating schedule with other managers) and other times where manager presence is needed.
This position is expected to work with a high degree of independence, accountability and authority. While much of the work is self-driven and process-focused, additional work projects may be assigned to meet the departmental needs. Work may be reviewed in progress, upon completion and/or through reports, and feedback is shared on an ongoing basis and through periodic and annual performance review.
- Allocate and supervise daily work responsibilities among the overnight staff and inspect all assigned areas to ensure work is being carried out properly and in a timely manner as per the Custodial Plan.
- Practice and enforce departmental policies and procedures.
- Hold staff accountable and prepare and submit disciplinary action and incident reports as necessary/governed by college and departmental policies.
- Ensure that the departmental Safety Plan is being enforced including counseling, coaching and training staff on following proper safety procedures as well as usage of chemicals.
- Immediately notify proper parties of any injury and/or accident following the department Safety Plan.
- Communicate and provide updates on the progress or completion of work orders, and/or projects.
- Inspect all custodial supply and equipment storage areas to ensure all areas area kept tidy and ensure that equipment is in proper working condition.
- Provide daily emails, summaries, updates and/or reports on supplies distributed and equipment accessories or service needs.
- Respond to college employee, student and guest complaints, emergencies or requests with an appropriate measure of courtesy and customer service by coordinating with the appropriate level of staff and equipment necessary to provide an effective solution to the situation.
- Report facility maintenance items needing repair, with particular emphasis on lighting, dispensers, and other related items associated with custodial services’ functional work.
- Recommend/present suggestions and ideas for improvement that may better the department and/or make it run more efficiently.
- Maintain inventory of supplies as well as advise management when they are running low.
- Meet and maintain punctuality and attendance.
- This position may be required to work a day over the weekend as well as be on call for the weekend on a rotating schedule with the daytime Assistant Custodial Manager and Custodial Manager.
- Additional duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and materials
- Supervisory skills
- Attention to detail
- Customer service skills
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English
- Proficient in use of a computer including use of Gmail, Google Calendar, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and institutional software systems
- Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Ability to train staff in various skills as needed
- Report preparation skills
- Ability to conduct custodial inspections
- Ability to plan and organize
- Knowledge and experience in operation of a carpet extractor, floor buffer, and other various cleaning equipment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in dealing with personnel matters and other issues that arise
- Ability to walk throughout the entire campus
- Physical requirements: The position will be on his/her feet for a majority, if not for their entire shift including extensive walking and standing. He/she must have the ability to lift up to 60 lbs.
- Preferred multilingual; English-Spanish
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- At least 5 years of experience in custodial services: 2 of which must be supervisory
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
- The employee values being a member of the team, is dependable, takes initiative, solves problems effectively, communicates clearly and supports organizational change
All qualified applicants are subject to a background check as part of the final approval process. Applicants must include a letter of application, resume and contact information for at least three references. Please send all application materials by email to HR@mountsaintvincent.edu.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled. Position will begin immediately.
College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to provide equal opportunity, employment, and advancement opportunities to all individuals. The College of Mount Saint Vincent does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws.