Custodian/Housekeeper (Floater, Temporary)
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
The position of Housekeeper/Custodian works under the direction and supervision of the Assistant Custodial Manager. As an “essential” employee, you must remain or report for work during partial or full-day closings of the site due to hazardous or other emergency conditions as well as inclement weather. Generally, the Housekeeper/Custodian is responsible for operational conduct of housekeeping services for an assigned area within the College as needed.
This position is delegated the authority to prioritize work within the assigned area based on existing/evolving schedules. Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to emergency response (spills, cleanups, etc) and event coverage.
- Follow daily work assignments as scheduled by supervisor and as outlined on daily schedules. Work assignments include but are not limited to restroom cleaning/restocking, trash removal, disinfecting, floor work, dusting, etc.
- Respond to college employee, student and guest requests with an appropriate measure of courtesy and service
- Responds to emergencies by coordinating with supervisor for proper level of staff and equipment necessary to provide an effective solution to the situation
- Responds to community feedback with appropriate measure of courtesy and service. If unable to resolve issue, immediately report to supervisor
- Sustain continual physical exertion throughout the work day, including lifting loads up to 50 lbs., bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, reaching, and climbing
- Remain fully trained and request assistance from supervisor in the proper utilization of equipment and materials, chemical products, and the use of protective devices when needed
- Tracks and monitors assigned work from beginning to completion
- Reports facility maintenance items needing repair with particular emphasis on lighting, dispensers, and other related items associated with custodial services functional work.
- Bulk cleaning and trash handling/removal as assigned
- Provide event coverage as needed including trash removal, event space prep/cleanup, and emergency response
- Maintain the College Department of Facilities’ integrity, effectiveness and efficiency via staff oversight and compliance to departmental work standards, work assignments and maintenance policies and procedures
- Make recommendations for improvements and provide pertinent information to supervisor
- Immediately notify proper parties of any injury and/or accident
- Additional duties as assigned by management
- Meet and maintain punctuality and attendance expectations
- Must abide by all College policies and procedures
- Experience in related field and floor care is preferred but not required
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English verbally and written
- Physical Requirements include moderate physical exertion. The employee will be on their feet for a majority if not for their entire shift including extensive walking and standing. Position requires mobility, occasionally climbs, crawls, stoops or otherwise works in an awkward position. Lifting or moving heavy parcels, machines and equipment up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis. Manual dexterity and coordination are required over 50% of the work period while operating various types of equipment
- The employee values being a member of the team, is dependable, takes initiative, solves problems effectively, communicates clearly and supports organizational change
Applicants must send a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references who can speak to your professional qualifications by email to HR@mountsaintvincent.edu.
College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to provide equal opportunity, employment, and advancement opportunities to all individuals. The College of Mount Saint Vincent does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws.