Food Services Cashier/Worker
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
Food Service Director/ Assistant Manager/ Chef Manager/Supervisor. This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
This is general food service work involving the preparation, presentation and serving of food. Performs cashiering duties including cash transactions, verifying banks, accurately giving change, counting cash receipts and filling out cash reports. Maintains sanitation standards in the preparation, service and dining room facilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following, other duties may be assigned.
- Carefully enters all sales into the cash register to ensure that all purchases are accurately recorded
- Makes change, adds value to debit cards, and issues receipts to customers
- Responsible for all assigned change funds and cash receipts ensuring that cash drawer is in compliance with overage/shortage standards
- Able to perform arithmetic operations involving all United States monetary units (add, subtract, multiply, divide). Must be able to differentiate between monetary units
- Must have the ability to observe customer purchase in the café line and to differentiate between standard portions.
- Follow standard procedures for issuing cash refunds
- Must assure compliance with company service standards, and company inventory and cash control procedures.
- Performs sales transactions in a reasonable and timely fashion
- Follows procedures for the proper set-up and clean up of dining center serving lines
- Maintains work area, equipment, and dining facility in a clean and presentable manner
- Required to replenish condiments, beverages and general supplies while maintaining cleanliness of service area
- Capable of lifting a minimum of 25 pounds. Bending, and standing for long periods of time
- Responsible for ensuring proper presentation, portion control, and maintenance of proper serving temperatures – follows HACCP standards
- Maintains sanitation and orderliness of all equipment, supplies and utensils within work area
- Handles foods items appropriately during preparation
- New York Food Handlers Certificate
- Keeps display equipment clean and free of debris during meal service as assigned
- Cleans equipment, as assigned and in a timely fashion
- Cleans workstation thoroughly before leaving the area for other assignments
- Represents company in a courteous, efficient, and friendly manner is all customer and employee interactions
- Interacts with customers in a manner to ensure customer satisfaction
- Greets customers courteously
- Serves customers quickly, does not allow back-ups or snags in serving lines
- Serves customer food and beverage orders quickly, in proper portions, in a courteous demeanor
- Demonstrates a complete understanding of daily menu items and explains same to customers accurately
- Relays relevant comments from customers directly to supervisors
- Interact with customers and resolves customer complaints in a friendly and service oriented manner
- Consistently exhibits the ability to keep up with peak cafeteria hours and does so calmly, accurately and efficiently
- Checks to ensure that all display foods are merchandised attractively per standards
- Serve food neatly and attractively per standard
- Follows principles of sanitation and safety in handling food and equipment
- Cleans up spills in the servery, dining area, his/her own work area immediately
- Completes shift work, as assigned, in a timely and thorough manner in accordance with department standards
- Informs chef, supervisor, in a timely manner when supplies are low
- Follows and observes all college policies and procedures
- Follows company standards for attendance and punctuality
- Maintains professional appearance at all times, clean and well groomed in accordance with college standards
- Develops a positive working relationship with fellow workers and customers and avoids conflict
- Assist other functions as needed
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to read a limited number of two and three syllable words and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers. Ability to speak simple sentences.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
All employees are responsible for maintaining a hazard free environment for themselves and our customers. All employees are required to wear personal protective equipment (goggles or eyewear, gloves and aprons) when handling chemicals or other hazardous substance or when assisting in first aid.
Employees may be required to use certain mechanical, electric, sharp, heat producing, and other potentially dangerous equipment while performing job responsibilities. Employees will be instructed in the proper use, function and maintenance of all kitchen related equipment. See your supervisor for specific training procedures.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Other Qualifications – Education and Experience
High School Diploma or up to six months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Applicants must send a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references who can speak to your professional qualifications by email to HR@mountsaintvincent.edu.
College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to provide equal opportunity, employment, and advancement opportunities to all individuals. The College of Mount Saint Vincent does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws.