Graduate Assistant for Student Activities, Leadership, and Commuter Life
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
The Office of Student Activities, Leadership, and Commuter Life manages the Alumnae Pavilion Student Center, plans/implements campus wide programs, oversees the Orientation program, advises and mentors student groups/leaders, coordinates the functioning of all student clubs/organizations and provides programs and services for commuter students. Reporting to the Associate Director of Student Activities, Leadership and Commuter Life, the Graduate Assistant position requires approximately 20-25 hours per week, plus evening and weekend hours.
- Work closely with the Associate Director of Student Activities to create and implement campus wide co-curricular programming
- Assist with advising while serving as a liaison to approximately 10-15 student clubs and organizations
- Supervise and oversee the Commuter Life programming efforts, including the hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of Commuter Assistant(s) staff
- Manage the Commuter Life programming budget
- Coordinate and implement educational programming opportunities that follow important trends within the commuter student life experience
- Advise the Freshman and Junior Classes (within the Student Government) in class programming and governance
- Serve on campus wide committees, including but not limited to Homecoming and Founders Day
- Provide support with various departmental functions such as orientation, assessment and student government
- Work with the Office of Campus Events in reserving rooms for all student club programs
- Work with agents and performers to negotiate performance agreements for campus activities
- Attend weekly staff meetings, one-on-one meetings, in-service training sessions, and assigned campus wide committees
- Assist in the supervision of student assistant staff
- Participate as departmental team member while supporting the Division of Student Affairs
- Assume other responsibilities assigned by the Associate Director of Student Activities
Salary and Compensation
A paid stipend every two weeks, six credit hours of graduate tuition remission per semester at the College of Mount Saint Vincent, an on-campus suite, College meal plan, campus parking decal, access to campus recreation center, and use of campus shuttle.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience in leadership position(s) in student activities/campus life and experience in campus programming, with commuter students, and/or with orientation is highly desirable
- A strong understanding of student activities required
- Ability to work as a flexible and supportive team member in a diverse environment
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office and Photoshop
Applicants must plan to enroll/be accepted into a College of Mount Saint Vincent graduate program to be offered the tuition remission as indicated above. Students enrolled in graduate programs at other institutions are encouraged to apply, but are ineligible to receive payment for tuition credits at another institution.
All qualified applicants are subject to a background check as part of the final approval process. Applicants must include a letter of application, resume and contact information for at least three references. Please send all application materials by email to HR@mountsaintvincent.edu.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the College of Mount Saint Vincent, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to provide equal opportunity, employment, and advancement opportunities to all individuals. The College of Mount Saint Vincent does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws.