Graduate | Adult FAQs

What is the difference between the Undergraduate College Admissions Office and the School of Professional and Graduate Studies?
The Undergraduate College Admissions Office works only with students applying to undergraduate degree programs at the Riverdale Campus.

The School of Professional and Graduate Studies works with all students at the Midtown Manhattan campus, undergraduate applicants over the age of 25 at the Riverdale campus, and all non-degree and graduate students at the Midtown Manhattan campus and Riverdale campus.

What is the difference between the Riverdale and Midtown Manhattan campuses?
Our main campus is located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. All undergraduate and graduate degree programs are available at this campus. Our Midtown Manhattan campus offers the B.S. in Nursing degree program as well as the Post-Master’s Nursing Education program. Some non-degree programs are available at the Midtown Manhattan campus.

Applicants to the B.S. degree in nursing in Midtown Manhattan campus must have at least 60 transferable credits to qualify for admission. These credits can be in almost any area of study. The Midtown Manhattan campus serves as a degree completion program for students pursuing the B.S. in Nursing. Therefore, the breadth and depth of elective and core classes that are available in Riverdale are not available in Midtown Manhattan. As a result, applicants to this campus must meet the 60 credit minimum transfer requirement.

Many schools have pre-requisites for admission to their nursing programs such as requiring the completion of Anatomy, Physiology, and Chemistry. Does the School of Professional and Graduate Studies have the same requirements?
Aside from the 60 transferable credits required by students applying to the Midtown Manhattan campus, the science classes—Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, and Inorganic Chemistry—are not required for admission to either nursing program in Midtown Manhattan or Riverdale. All five science classes can be taken through the College of Mount Saint Vincent. The five science classes are required for admission to the clinical portion of the nursing program.

Is there an application fee for all graduate programs?
There is an application fee for the M.S. in Nursing program. The fee can be paid via check, cash or money order.

What time do graduate nursing courses begin and when are they offered?
They begin around 4 or 5 p.m. and usually run Monday through Thursday.

What time do M.B.A. courses start?
Most M.B.A. courses start at 6 or 7 p.m.

Does the M.S. in Nursing program application require an essay?
Yes, the application requires the completion of the English essay exam, a writing sample completed in the SPGS Office of Admission. The exam is offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 a.m. or 2 p.m. To take the exam, please email

Do I have to have a bachelor’s degree in nursing to apply to the M.S. in Nursing program?
Yes, you must have a current R.N. license and you must have a bachelor’s degree in nursing.

Does the College of Mount Saint Vincent require any prerequisites for the M.S. in Nursing program?
Yes, all applicants must have completed statistics and nursing research.

What is the minimum GPA required for admission into the graduate programs?
Mount Saint Vincent requires an overall GPA of 3.0.

What is the deadline for admission?
Both the TESOL and M.B.A. programs have a rolling admission policy so there is no set deadline. The deadline for the M.S. in Nursing program is July 1 and only accepts applicants once a year for the fall semester. They do not accept any applicants for the spring semester.

Where should I send my application materials?
All application materials and supporting documents should be sent to the School of Professional and Graduate Studies at the College of Mount Saint Vincent.

Can I email my letters of recommendation?
Yes, the letters of recommendation can be emailed, faxed, or mailed but must be on letterhead.

Are there any special admission requirements for international students?
Students applying to the College of Mount Saint Vincent’s academic programs must include in their application proof of a sufficient mastery of English, both oral and written, at a level appropriate for academic studies at a U.S. college or university.

This requirement may be met by providing the College of Mount Saint Vincent with an official score on the TOEFL exam, IELTS exam, or SAT exam.  Unless otherwise specified in the degree program of your choice, the minimum acceptable score on the IELTS is 6.0 and TOEFL is 550.

Applicants whose scores are below these minimum requirements, but otherwise fulfill all of the other requirements for admission, may be granted “conditional admission” into a program of undergraduate studies at the College of Mount Saint Vincent. Students who have been granted conditional admission must successfully complete a program of English Language training before enrolling in academic coursework. This English Language Training (ESL) program is offered on the Riverdale campus through the College’s partner, the ELS Language Centers. A student’s language skills are assessed on entry to the program and the student is placed in the appropriate level of English Language study. The length of time required for reaching a satisfactory level of competency varies with each student, and the level on which the student was placed after assessment.

Students enrolled in an English language training program will reside on campus, attend language training classes full-time, and are provided with full room and board. ESL training is structured as a series of intensive one-month modules and are offered year-round.

Is there any type of housing offered for graduate students?
Yes. Only five minutes away from the College, our off-campus graduate house is located at 411 W 261st Street, Bronx, NY 10471. Applications are welcome on a first-come, first-serve basis. For more information, please contact or
(718) 405-3401.