College of Mount Saint Vincent Hosts College Outreach Seminar Sponsored by Committee of 200
Over one hundred female college students from the College of Mount Saint Vincent will participate in the 2009 College Outreach Seminar on Friday, November 20th. Hosted by the College and sponsored by the Committee of 200, a group of high powered women executives and business leaders, the seminar provides an opportunity for college women to explore opportunities in the business world. Claire Babrowski, Executive Vice President / Chief Operating Officer of Toys “R” Us will be the keynote speaker.
The Seminar is a daylong event where C200 members serve on panels, give presentations, and engage in roundtable discussions with college women. Through the Seminar, students are able to network with female presidents and CEO’s of major corporations and glean important insights into succeeding as a woman in the corporate world. The idea is to raise the level of representation of women at the highest level of corporate involvement.
Currently, only seven women hold CEO positions in the Fortune 100.
Through the Seminar, attendees are eligible for spots in summer internships with stipends of up to $5,000. “The objective,” said Meagan O’Brien, Director of External Relations for The Committee of 200, “is to get to women at the college level and show them how rewarding business leadership can be.” The seminar is open to female students at the College from any major.
Claire Babrowski, Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer of Toys “R” Us will deliver the keynote address. Ms. Babrowski was named one of the top 50 women to watch by Fortune Magazine. She began her career at McDonald’s at the age of 16. Said Meagan O’Brien, “We are delighted, she is inspiring.”
At the Seminar, students will learn what it takes to be a leader in business, the importance of corporate philanthropy, business ethics, environmental sustainability, entrepreneurship, as well as gain advice about making a career choice. Some of the sessions include:
- How I Turned my Passion into Profit: Entrepreneurship
- Doing Good while Doing Well: Giving back through business
- Inside the C200 Studio, an Interview with Kathryn Swintek ’74
- Tips from the Top: Networking and Negotiating
- A Balancing Act: Achieving Personal and Professional Fulfillment
The Committee of 200 speakers for the College Outreach Seminar are:
- Jewelle Bickford, Senior Strategist, GenSpring Family Offices
- Beth Bronfman, CEO, Managing Partner, Leibler Bronfman Lubalin Advertising
- Robin Brooks, Chairman & CEO, Brooks Food Group
- Pauline Brown, Managing Director, The Carlyle Group
- Michelle Clayman, Managing Partner & Chief Investment Officer, New Amsterdam Partners LLC
- Lin Coughlin, President, Great Circle Associates
- Martha Crowninshield, General Partner Emerita, Boston Ventures
- Jane Dong, President, XM International
- Chris Reilly, President, CIT Small Business Lending Corporation
- Kathryn Swintek, Founding Partner, Kathryn B. Swintek & Partners
- Barbara Talbott, Founder and CEO, GlenLarkin Advisors, LLC
- Lynn Utter, President & COO, Knoll, North America
The Committee of 200 is an invitation only membership organization composed of women at the highest echelons of business success. These women represent over 100 industries in the United States, Europe, Asia and Latin America. The mission of C200 and its Foundation is to foster, celebrate and advance women’s leadership in business. It uses targeted outreach and support for future leaders. The Foundation helps to ensure those women will continue to take significant and visible leadership roles. For more information on the Seminar please visit: mountsaintvincent.edu/news or c200.org.