Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an institution that champions diversity and embraces differences among its campus population. Created in 2021, our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee is dedicated to providing an equitable and supportive environment to all members of the College community regardless of their identities.
Our DEI efforts are set to enhance and assess inclusivity in existing initiatives.
Additionally, the DEI Committee aims to positively impact our campus by providing educational and professional development opportunities that aid in fostering an understanding of common humanity, while promoting personal growth among our community members at the student, faculty, staff, and administrative level.
The strategic goals of the DEI Committee shall be to:
- Define a concept of diversity which is relevant to the unique environment of the College and create a welcoming, supportive, and inclusive living, learning, and working community for all faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Continuously evaluate Mount Saint Vincent’s current status on diversity and inclusion in its programs to find opportunities to make thoughtful changes and to expand discussions by surveying the campus climate on the demographics, programs, and projects (i.e., climate surveys, DEI program evaluations).
- Touch on all aspects of the College—from Academic Affairs to Student Affairs—to measure the current breadth and width of these areas in relation to DEI goals, while identifying areas for growth.
- Facilitate collaborative activities to provide a wider range of intercultural perspectives by:
- Uniting with various College offices, departments, and student clubs and organizations.
- Assisting with the recruitment and retention of students, faculty, staff, and administrators from a wide range of cultural backgrounds and identities, as well as underrepresented and underserved populations.
- Adding a calendar of events with cultural holidays, activities, and programs, as well as dialogue and training sessions and DEI-related workshops and seminars.
- Developing partnerships with diverse individuals locally, regionally, nationally, and globally for panel discussions, workshops, and other DEI-related activities and events.
- Facilitate ongoing personal and professional development in collaboration with various offices and departments for instructors, staff, and leadership to increase competencies in DEI practices.