Additional Classroom Teaching Certificate in ESOL
College of Mount Saint Vincent, a leader in preparing pre-service and in-service teachers, offers a four-course sequence in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. This sequence of courses is specifically designed for individuals who hold an initial or professional certification in a discipline other than Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.
This course of study will provide the foundational knowledge needed to successfully address the needs of English Language Leaners. Opportunities for ENL teachers are continually expanding. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, career opportunities for those working as ENL teachers are forecast to increase by 15% through 2020.
Students who fulfill the course sequence and additional requirements may apply to the New York State Department of Education for an additional certificate in ESOL.
Curriculum requirements for the Additional Classroom Teaching Certificate in ESOL:
- Course – EDUC 507 Linguistic Analysis
- Course – EDUC 508 Structure of American English
- Course – EDUC 722 Teaching ESL 1
- Course – EDUC 725 Teaching Across Content Areas – Methods of TESOL Pre-K to 12
Additionally, certificate candidates must provide NYSED evidence of:
- Major or equivalent in one of the Liberal Arts and Sciences–30 semester hours
- Teaching Literacy Skills Methods
*Students may have fulfilled Teaching Literacy Skills Methods as part of primary teaching certificate
- Language Other than English
*12 credits in a foreign/sign language/s documented on an undergraduate/graduate transcript or equivalent credit on CLEP or NYU Proficiency Tests (credits must be completed before you apply for the ESOL certificate)
- Successful completion of the Content Specialty Test (CST) in ESOL
- Workshops–Child Abuse Identification–School Violence Intervention and Prevention–DASA–Fingerprint Clearance