Oxley Center for Academic Advisement and Career Education
Mount grads don’t just get jobs. They launch careers.
We live in a world where most people have seven or more occupations profession during their lifetimes. To thrive in such an environment—to build a career—requires more than typical job placements. That’s what makes the College’s nationally recognized Oxley Center different. We help students appreciate their strengths and interests, understand the value and range of opportunities associated with their strengths, and strategize how to translate what they love into a meaningful career.
Support from the Oxley Center begins on your first day at the Mount and continues through graduation. At many other institutions, students have a faculty advisor to help with registration, course selection, and other academic questions. At the College of Mount Saint Vincent, you’ll get to know your advisor personally—they’ll help you understand major and core curriculum requirements, advise you about graduate programs, and connect you to the College community.
In addition to a faculty advisor, you’ll also have a professional Oxley advisor for four years. Both advisors are committed to your success as a scholar and a leader. They work collaboratively to ensure that you’ve identified the right major and that you have all of the support services needed to excel. Plus, they make sure to guide you as you get involved with all of the opportunities available in and outside the classroom at the Mount.
Through the Oxley Center, students will:
- Take First Year Experience (FYE) with their faculty advisor and be introduced to college life, academic expectations, and support systems, which will help boost critical thinking and information literacy. Through FYE, sudents will also be encouraged to get involved with student activities and will coordinate a service project with campus ministry, helping to give back to those in need.
- Build a professional portfolio, develop a resume, boost networking skills, practice interviewing, and learn about available internship opportunities.
- Learn how to fuse their major, interests, strengths, and skills into a career path.
- Find internships and prospective employers through Mount alumnae/i, networking events, job shadowing, career fairs, information sessions, and the ParaMount Perspectives Speakers Series.
- Finalize graduate school search strategies and timelines.
- Refine test-taking skills at the Academic Resource Center for national graduate/professional school examinations, such as the GRE, GMAT, MCAT, or LSAT.
And whether you know what you want to be or not, the Oxley Center helps you to build the skills—and the plan—to discover your best options and launch your career.
Founders Hall 408