Tips for Applying to Graduate School
TIMELINE – Keep a calendar of important events
- Begin thinking about graduate school as an option
- Visit the Oxley Integrated Advising Program to determine if graduate school is right for you
- Begin research on your field of choice, through the internet, informational interviews, and meetings with faculty and deans to determine if graduate school is required or preferred
- Gain experience in your field of choice through an internship or part-time job
Summer Before Senior Year
- Research different graduate programs through school websites, asking professors, friends, co-workers, etc.
- Begin making an important dates /deadline calendar
- Get applications and financial aid materials from prospective schools/programs
- Being studying for GREs/GMATs/ (possibly enroll in Kaplan or other test preparatory course). Please note that LSAT’s and MCAT’s have a different time schedules to study. You should check with your pre-law advisor or pre-med advisor for more details
- Take required entrance examination in Fall (usually October)
- Contact faculty for letters of recommendation
- Begin drafting personal statement and any other required essays – then finish them!!
- Visit the Oxley Integrated Advising Program to have essays proofed and resume reviewed, if resume is required in application
- Request transcripts from every undergraduate school attended
- Mail competed application packets to prospective schools
- Follow up on application status!
- A personal interview is required for some graduate programs. If you are asked to participate, be sure to brush up on interview skills and have a coherent argument for why you want to attend their program and why they should admit you to their school!
Important Tips for Applications
- Be neat. Type everything!
- Proofread everything, and have someone else proof it as well!
- Xerox copies of all materials, especially financial aid information!
- Mark all important dates/deadlines on a calendar – meet those deadlines well in advance!
Make sure to visit the Oxley Integrated Advising Program, Founders Hall 408 for more information and resources to make your graduate school search easier.