Open primary navigation menu
Mobile Dropdown Button

Applying for Financial Aid

Federal student aid is financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Education available to eligible students enrolled at schools participating in the federal student aid program. Federal student aid covers school expenses such as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. This aid can also help you pay for a computer and dependent child-care expenses.

Eligibility for most federal student aid programs is based on financial need and several other factors. Your eligibility is determined by the information you provide on the FAFSA. To be eligible, students also must:

  • Demonstrate financial need (except for certain loans).
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security number.
  • Be working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.
  • Show, by one of the following means, that they are qualified to obtain a postsecondary education:
    • Have a high school diploma or a General Educational Development (GED) certificate.
    • Complete a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law.
  • Register with the Selective Service, if you’re a male between the ages of 18 and 25.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress once in school.

Cost of Attendance (Shopping Sheet)
A survey conducted among University of Mount Saint Vincent students indicates that the average amount spent on clothing, personal grooming products, recreation, etc. is $1,000 per year. The range from $850 to $2,200 reflects the widely varied modes of living.

For the Nursing Program Only: The sophomore, junior, and senior years of the nursing major are estimated to be approximately $2,000 per year to cover the cost of program fee, textbooks, manuals, lab coats, and other clinical attire, special equipment such as stethoscopes, transportation to and from clinical facilities, and yearly physical examination, screening, and immunizations.

Nursing majors are required to carry Nursing Liability Insurance. Sophomore, junior, and senior students are required to carry private health insurance. Transportation to clinical facilities sites for experiential learning is the responsibility of the individual student. Placements are based on site availability.