Open primary navigation menu
Mobile Dropdown Button

Federal and State Aid

You can obtain free information and guidance as you apply for federal student aid from your school counselor, from the University of Mount Saint Vincent, or from the U.S. Department of Education at or 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

To contact the Office of Financial Aid at the College, please fill out the inquiry form.

Step 1
Create a FSA user ID – a username and password that you must use to login to certain US Department of Education websites. The FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on the ED websites such as the FAFSA. Parents of dependent students need their own FSA ID. Create an FSA ID now at

Step 2
Collect the documents needed to apply, including your most recently completed income tax returns and W-2 forms (and other records of income). A full list of what you need is at Tax return not completed at the time you apply? Estimate the tax information, apply, and correct information later.

Step 3
Complete the FAFSA. Application opens October 1. The University of Mount Saint Vincent code is 002703. Apply online (the faster and easier way) by visiting and to ensure accuracy please utilize the Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA website.

Step 4
Federal Student Aid will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR)—which is a summary of the information from your FAFSA. Review your SAR, and if necessary, make changes or corrections and submit your SAR for reprocessing. Your complete, correct SAR will contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC)—the number used to determine your federal student aid eligibility.

Step 5
If you are selected for verification, follow the verification process. Complete the appropriate worksheet and submit with all other applicable information to our office. It is critical you respond quickly so your aid is not delayed.

Step 6
Contact us if you have any questions about the aid being offered. Review and submit a decision on the Self-Service portal or by signing the award letter, which indicates your acceptance of the aid offered.

Please note: Free help is available any time during the application process—you should never have to pay for help. You may also be eligible for financial aid from your state government or a private scholarship. We encourage you to research non-federal aid early and be sure to meet all application deadlines.