Open primary navigation menu
Mobile Dropdown Button

High School Student FAQs

What does applying Early Action mean for me?
Early Action is a non-binding application process with a deadline of November 15. If a student applies Early Action and completes their application prior to the November 15 deadline, they will receive an Admissions Decision by December 15.

What documents are required when applying to the University of Mount Saint Vincent?

  • Personal Essay: Please submit an essay on a topic of your choice.
  • High School Transcript: Have your guidance office send your transcript to the Office of Admissions, including your most recent grades and coursework. 
  • Letter of Recommendation: A teacher or guidance counselor should submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
  • Standardized Test Scores are optional. If you believe that submitting your test scores will enhance our understanding of your overall academic achievements, you are welcome to do so. Please submit your SAT or ACT scores from the College Board. Our SAT code is 2088; our ACT code is 2823.

Do you accept Advanced Placement for college credit?
Prospective First-Year Students are now permitted to bring up to 30 credits with them from either AP, IB, or College Now Courses. Students may bring in up to 30 credits no matter what combination they choose (i.e.: some IB, some AP, etc.).

Do you require an interview as part of the admissions process?
Some students seeking admission to the University may be selected to complete an interview as part of their application. Should a requested interview not be completed by the given deadline, the Office of Admission reserves the right to move forward with rendering a final admission decision without information that could have been gathered in the requested interview.

Does the University of Mount Saint Vincent have a study abroad program?
Yes. Mount students explore the world—on and off campus. The Mount offers an extensive array of full-semester programs, as well as short courses and alternative spring breaks.

Does the Universiry offer internship opportunities?
The Oxley Integrated Advising Program is a unique, four-year program that prepares you for a career, not just a job. Our location in New York means that internship opportunities at the Mount are nothing short of extraordinary. UMSV’s Discovery Internships help you to identify and refine career ambitions. In many fields of study, departmental internships and practicum placements provide the experience and credentials that help connect you with employment after graduation.

Are there support resources or programs available at the Mount?
The Mount offers several programs designed to help promising students transition from high school to college. Opportunities to participate in programs such as HEOP, MAP, and TRiO may be offer students extra support in their first year.

Does the University require a placement exam?
No. Your first-year course schedule will be developed by your academic advisor. They will analyze your high school transcript and standardized test scores, while taking into account your major and course preferences.