Open primary navigation menu
Mobile Dropdown Button

Study Abroad Policy

Students should consult the Chair of their major Department for requirements specific to their Department. To be eligible for study abroad, an index of 2.5 and the approval of the Department Chair and the Director for International Student Services, are required.

Students are eligible for study abroad opportunities beginning the first semester of their sophomore year, or during their second semester as a transfer student. In special cases, a student may be allowed to study abroad in the second semester of their freshman year.

The study abroad process begins with the Director for International Student Services. The student presents the reasons for going abroad, since these reasons will influence the choice of country and courses to be taken. Consideration is given to major and foreign language ability, when applicable. A major focus is the opportunity to learn about the people, society and culture of another country.

Students review programs, courses, cost, and requirements with the Director of International Student Services. They also meet with the Chair of their Department and their academic advisor to access the best fit for their international course of study.

Students are provided with a study abroad application to complete, which also serves as a contract between the student and the College, to obtain the necessary transfer credits. The student must submit the completed application to the Director for International Student Services for final approval.

Before departing to study abroad, students will create a schedule with their academic advisor for the semester following their study abroad experience.

Please note: Faculty wishing to take students abroad on faculty directed programs should do so through the Director for International Student Services.

Financial Aid
Enrollment in an affiliated program of study and receiving approval for credits by the College, may be considered enrollment in the College for purposes of a student applying for federal student financial assistance. The student pays University of Mount Saint Vincent tuition, fees, and room and board for the semester, and the Mount pays the provider of the study abroad program.

Transfer Credits
Transferable courses are those courses which are pre-certified as comparable to Mount Saint Vincent courses, as well as courses related to the culture and society of other people  (i.e.: Art of Rome, or Societal Issues in England). Students are required to be full-time students while they study abroad.

Completed transfer credit contracts are filed with the Registrar, Chair, Academic Advisor, and Director for International student Services. Usually 12-15 credits per semester can be transferred.

(718) 405-3206
Founders Hall 421