CMSV 332 Fire Safety Policy
Policy Name: Fire Safety Policy
Learn more about fire safety policies.
- Any instance of open flame or other burning in a place not intended to contain the burning or in an uncontrolled manner.
- Electrical devices and electronics that are not Underwriter Laboratories (UL) rated.
- Extension cords are not permitted in residence halls.
- Space heaters.
- Halogen lamps.
- Live Christmas trees, wreaths, or jack-o-lanterns.
- Items hanging from walls or ceilings that could interfere with vents, electrical outlets, or otherwise pose a fire hazard.
- Furniture that is not fire retardant.
- Devices that produce an open flame.
- Microwave ovens, exceeding 700 watts.
- Electric blankets.
Approved Electrical Appliances
- Microwaves are not to exceed 700 watts.
- Power strips must be UL rated.
- Energy star efficient appliances.
Please note: The College of Mount Saint Vincent can prohibit any item that could possibly pose a fire hazard.
Fire Safety Evacuation Policy and Procedure
In the event of a fire or smoke condition:
- Get out of the area and alert others of the condition and the need to evacuate.
- This can be accomplished by knocking on doors and stating the condition as you leave the area through the nearest exit.
- Activate the nearest fire alarm pull station.
- Call fire emergency services at 911 and campus safety and security at (718) 405-3434. Provide as much information as possible regarding the condition.
- Everyone must evacuate the building at once through the nearest exit.
- The evacuees will then proceed across the street from the affected building. They will remain there until the fire department investigates. The evacuees will be allowed to re-enter the building only after the fire department declares the area ‘all clear’ and upon direction.