CMSV 502 Student with Disabilities and Reasonable Accommodations
Policy Name: Student with Disabilities and Reasonable Accommodations
Students with Disabilities
College of Mount Saint Vincent Master of Science Physician Assistant Program students who are seeking reasonable accommodations and services on the basis of a diagnosed permanent or temporary disability are required to submit all documentation to verify eligibility under Section-504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Office of Accessibility Services
Will provide support services that enable students with documented disabilities to maximize their academic participation and learning experience.
The purpose for reasonable accommodations is to provide equal access to academic opportunities by reducing or eliminating disadvantages due to a disability.
The provision of all reasonable accommodations and services is based upon a case-by-case assessment of the impact of the student’s diagnosis on his/her academic performance and/or college participation at a given time in the student’s academic life. Reasonable accommodations do not guarantee specific outcomes or level of achievement.
Elizabeth Seton Library 2nd Floor
Under the American Disability Act (ADA), a reasonable accommodation is defined as a service that does not fundamentally alter the programs, course design, living space, and activities provided to other students. Additionally, the accommodation may not pose a financial or administrative burden to the College.
Reasonable Accommodation | Timeframe
A reasonable accommodation request can be initiated at any time during the student’s academic enrollment at the College; however, the time to process an application may vary and the decision process does take time. The timeframe of the review process is determined on a case-by-case basis. Students are encouraged to begin the process at least four (4) weeks in advance of the date they are requesting to start their accommodations. Housing accommodation requests are based on availability. Even if a student is approved for a housing accommodation, they may be placed on a waiting list.
Please note: the College may not be able to arrange for accommodations that are not requested in a timely manner.
Reasonable Accommodations | Guidelines
The following guidelines for requesting reasonable accommodations must be followed in to ensure that your request is maximized and all services offered can be delivered in the appropriate time-span.
- Students requesting reasonable accommodations (academic and housing) must initiate the application process by applying through the Office of Accessibility Services.
- Covered disabilities include conditions that will substantially limit one or more of a student’s major life activities, including:
- Mental health Impairment
Reasonable Accommodation | Application Process
Students are required to complete the following process:
- Complete the online Reasonable Request Form.
- Submit the appropriate documentation.
- Meet with the Office of Accessibility Services.
Reasonable Accommodations | Approval
- Once the application process is completed and approved, the student will receive accommodation letters.
- Students are responsible for submitting the appropriate letter to faculty and/or administrator.
Reasonable Accommodations | Confidentiality
- All submitted supporting documentation will be placed on file by the Office of Accessibility Services.