Student Credit Balance
- A credit balance occurs when applicable funds paid onto the student account exceed the total amount of applicable charges per semester.
To check your account summary anytime, log on to the student self-service portal: Student Tab; Student Account Tab; Account Summary by Term Tab.
- Credit balance must be paid to the student accounts: “estimated,” “authorized,” or a “memo” fund is not available for refund.
- Credit balance must be reviewed and processed following the completion of the add/drop registration period.
- Title IV financial aid refunds will be processed within 14 days of the funds being credited to the account. A student or borrower may submit a written authorization to hold the funds in the student account.
- Refunds will be issued to the payment method that caused a credit balance.
Students expecting a refund of an overpayment (not including Title IV) must email the Office of Student Accounts: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and student ID with your email request.
The credit will remain on your student account for the subsequent semester if a request is not received.
Refund requests are reviewed weekly by the Office of Student Accounts, Financial Aid, and Finance to ensure the accuracy of your credit. Institutional awards are not refundable. The refund request process may take up to 3-4 weeks to complete. Refunds are always written out to the student’s name unless the refund is caused by excess funds from a Parent Plus loan.
- All refund checks will be mailed to the student mailing address on file unless there is a direct deposit set up.
- Direct deposit funds are typically available within 3-5 business days after the refund process is completed.
- If you prefer to pick up the refund check, photo identification is required for students or borrowers. The Office of Student Accounts is located in Founders Hall, Room 223.
- An overpayment caused from a credit card payment will typically be refunded to the original credit card. Any excess credit above the original credit card payment will be refunded according to the general refund process. Please note: Convenience fees are non-refundable.
To update your mailing address or add a direct deposit, please log into your student self-service portal.
Students may qualify to request a book voucher in advance of a student account credit balance. A book voucher must be requested via email: email@example.com. The student must include student ID number and a copy of the total amount due of the books wished to be purchased through Akademos. Once the request is received, the Office of Student Accounts will charge this amount to your student account and your voucher will be email to your University of Mount Saint Vincent email. If books are returned, or funds are not fully used, your account will be credited to reflect actual purchase balance.
Refunds Issued in Error
If the Office of Student Accounts issues you a refund in error, the College reserves the right to reclaim such funds.
Contact the Office of Student Accounts.